CACTUS AND SUCCULENT SOCIETY OF SAN JOSE
Jul 13, 2014 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes


Attending: Bill Kurtz, Kathi Cambiano, Sonia Dyer, Loyd Monaco, Joel Parker

Called to order at 11AM

The SF club apparently sold $100k at their last show. They use a 30/70% split.

There was a discussion of Rich Kroll's email suggesting a plant/disease contest, as he is getting about one request per month as webmaster. Having it be a contest was generally vetoed. Perhaps there are other ways to handle. Further discussion deferred.

Loyd says we need to buy more ribbons. He is suggesting putting the club medallion on them. We agreed.

Discussion of the need for potters at our shows. The SF club apparently also has someone who creates "garden art".

Bill K has talked to Jan and Peter regarding the spring show dates and it has been determined that it will be April 11-12, 2015 at Peterson.

Loyd has lined up Naomi to give a talk at our Sept 7, 2014 meeting. There will not be an October 2014 meeting due to the show.

For April 2015, the show being in mid-April, we won't have a regular club meeting, but Loyd wants to have a show co-ordination meeting at that time instead.

The question was raised whether we should have a fixed day of the month for publication of the club newsletter, even though our actual meeting date varies considerably. Loyd will discuss with Rich Kroll.

Old Business:
With respect to Mini-Show novice vs advanced requirements, Kathi will publish a reminder in the newsletter that after 5 years in the club an exhibitor must move up to the advanced category. People are expected to self-monitor themselves in this regard.

Bill K had reported that San Jose State has some cacti that they would appreciate help identifying. Loyd will stop by and visit them to get an overview of what they've got. Possibly we could put together a set of 3 or 4 people to go over there together. Need update from Loyd.

Loyd would like the club to have team tee shirts and caps. Kathi and Sandy Carter have a computer file of the club logo. Kathi has sent a copy to Loyd for followup.

Donation in Frank Bloss' memory. Loyd broached with Naomi. Naomi's family is looking into getting a bench at the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum, that we might contribute to. Naomi to get back with Loyd. Loyd talked to Naomi at the Christmas party and she still didn't have more info. Loyd to get back with her. Roger to ask her.

Loyd would like the club to have team tee shirts and caps. Kathi and Sandy Carter have a computer file of the club logo. Kathi has sent a copy to Loyd for followup.

A new member recently joined via our web site, and reported that two weeks later she had not received any kind of acknowledgement of her application and her check had not been cashed. It was generally agreed that we need more clarity on what the process is when someone joins via the web site, and we need to have a committee to address ways to make new members feel welcome, such as by some kind of Welcome Package.

Terri Koike did an excellent job providing the refreshments on the recent bus trip, and at meetings in general. We need to ask her if she needs help, so she doesn't end up burned out.

Adjourned at noon.